The Starbuck’s Peppermint Mocha is the Pumpkin Spice Latte of Christmas.
I’ve mentioned before how I don’t like Starbucks. It tastes way better in America than it does here because companies adapt their products to local tastes, and American’s obviously like better coffee than us Irish do.
I’ve never actually had a real peppermint mocha, but I’ve had a real PSL and it was vile, so I DIY’d that too. I’ve tried over the years to make a peppermint mocha but it wasn’t great, so my annual drink has been hazelnut hot chocolate. This year I tried again and loved it. It’s so simple too.
- 1 espresso shot/or equivalent amount of coffee
- 1 cup of dairy free milk – I used soya light by Alpro
- 6 squares of melted dairy free chocolate (I use Moofree – it tastes just like milk chocolate without the milk!)
- half a cap of peppermint essence*
- quarter cap of vanilla essence*
*I use Goodall. Their cap is perfect for small measurements.
- melt chocolate in a mug
- heat milk on stove until just before boiling point
- pour milk over chocolate
- add your peppermint essence, vanilla essence, and espresso shot
- garnish with a candy cane or dairy free whipped cream